Smoothies are a great way to get in your daily fruits and vegetables and can be enjoyed on the go, as a snack, or as a complement to a lighter meal at home. There are endless smoothie combinations, but they often follow a similar formula. Depending on the liquid and other add-ins you use, your smoothie can be a great source of protein. Frozen fruit goes great in this recipe, which also helps save money.
I am sharing my most recent go-to smoothie in which you can make whatever changes you want! Although I am not including it in today’s recipe, I often add a big handful of fresh spinach or kale by blending it with a little bit of non-dairy milk before adding the rest of my ingredients. This smoothie’s combination of blueberries, yellow peaches, and orange provides plenty of vitamin C and antioxidants. It also covers the recommended daily amount of two servings of fruit.
Blueberry Orange Peach Smoothie
Active Time 3-5 min
Ready in 3-5min
Makes 1 serving
280 calories per serving
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (or low-fat low-sugar milk of your choice)
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup frozen yellow peaches
- A few orange slices
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- If using any green vegetables, add these to your blender first along with a little bit of the liquid.
- Add all of the frozen fruit and hemp seeds.
- Pour in the rest of the soymilk and blend for a minute or two until smooth.
- You can use any other non-dairy milk for this recipe, such as almond or oat milk, or can even use water. I like to use unsweetened soy-milk because it is high in protein, iron, and other vitamins.
- Hemp seeds add extra protein, healthy fatty acids, and other nutrients. You can add another tablespoon if you would like, or substitute with chia or flaxseeds.
$2.12 per serving
All items are SNAP eligible
2 servings of fruit / 12g of protein / 1 dairy product (from soymilk)
Because most of the ingredients are frozen, the smoothie will taste the best right after it is made. You may make it ahead the night before, or even put all of the ingredients (minus the liquid) in a container in advance. When you are ready for your smoothie, you will have everything ready to go and will only need to blend!
By Illana Issula
Want more?! Check out the links below!